You’ll be able to find some of the most interesting places to eat at reasonable prices in this district. Chinatown is the place to head to for Chinese food while Lebuh Ampang just north of Chinatown is the place for Indian food. There are also the usual fastfood outlets like McDonalds and KFC.
* Lai Foong, 138 Jalan Tun HS Lee (corner of Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock and Jalan Tun HS Lee), ☎ 03 2072 8123. A classic Chinese coffeeshop with stalls offering a range of items. The beef noodles here is renowned throughout KL. Other items available include chicken and roast pork rice, prawn noodles and wantan mee.
* Soong Kee, 3 Jalan Tun Siew Sin (at the intersection with Jalan Tun Tan Siew Sin (formerly Jalan Silang) and Jalan Tun H.S. Lee) – This is KL’s most famous beef noodle shop, it is said to have started operating since 1945! It serves the noodles “dry” with beef mince while the beef balls are given separately in a bowl of soup.
* Kam Lin Kee (金莲記), (corner of Jalan Petaling and Jalan Hang Lekir, opp Hong Leong Bank) – No English sign, no menu in any language, and a kitchen you really don’t want to look into – but it packs the crowds for its famous hokkien mee (fried noodles in dark sauce, RM5). Wash it down with a RM1 mug of cooling liang teh and soak in the busy market ambience.
* Lebuh Ampang banana leaf rice – The street is lined with banana leaf rice shops, just make your pick. One of them is Lakshmi Villas. For purely vegetarian food, you can try Bakti Woodlands.
* Dome Cafe, G64 Ground Level, ☎ +03 2166-1948. 10AM – 10PM Sunday – Thursday, 10Am-11:30PM Friday – Saturday. Feeling homesick and need some comfort food? Dome Cafe has a variety of western foods including Bruschetta, Fish and Chips and Mushroom Soup. You can also get a proper cappucino and a taste slice of Tarimsu edit
There is little nightlife in this part of Kuala Lumpur, as most of the bars and clubs are in the Golden Triangle.
* San Francisco Coffee Express, LG-022 Lower Ground Floor, City Square Mall, ☎ +603-2284-7732. 8AM-11PM Monday – Friday, 8AM-Midnight Saturday & Sunday. San Francisco style in the heart of KL? You bet! Hot and cold coffee beverages and delicious cakes of all kinds.